Applications to the Graduate Department of Cell and Systems Biology must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) through the Online Admissions Procedure that is housed on a secure server at the University of Toronto. The department will consider your application only after you have entered your personal and academic information in the online application, submitted the application fee and mailed any required supporting supporting documentation. *Please note that you will not be required to submit official paper copies of your transcripts until after the admissions committee makes its decision. If admitted, you will be required to submit an official transcript; verification of your paper transcript will be a condition that must be met prior to registration. For departmental review, only scanned copies of transcripts are required. Current or former University of Toronto students do not need to submit an official copy of their transcript.
Once you access the SGS online admissions application and enter your contact information, an applicant identification number and a password will be emailed to you. You can leave and return to your application at any point until you move to the payment stage. At that point you can return to check on the status of the application including whether we have received your supporting documents.
The School of Graduate Studies must receive payment of your application fee before we will consider your application. You may pay online by VISA or MasterCard. This payment method is secure as Mirpay, a third party authorized by VISA and MasterCard, handles the transaction. Mirpay provides the School of Graduate Studies with payment confirmation only. SGS and the University of Toronto will not have access to your credit card information. Please note that the process requires that popup blockers on your web browser be disabled.
If you are unable to pay by credit card you may print an invoice from the application and mail it with a certified cheque to the School of Graduate Studies, 63 St. George Street, Toronto ON M5S 2Z9 Canada.
The following Supporting Documents must be included using the online application by March 8th:
- A one-page statement describing your interest in Cell and Systems Biology, your goals, and your reasons for choosing this department for graduate studies. Include a list of names of potential supervisors and areas of research in which you are interested.
- A current copy of your résumé or CV.
- Three letters of reference are required. These letters should be submitted electrically by the referees, who will automatically be emailed instructions when the student sumibts an online application and has paid the application fee. Reference letters can be mailed to the department; however, we recommend that referees submit the letters online.
- Scanned copies of academic transcripts form each university attended.
- GRE scores are not mandatory. However, it would be helpful if applicants from outside Canada and the United States submitted GRE scores from the General Test and the subject test in Biology.
International applicants whose language of instruction at their previous university was not English must submit an official English Language Facility Test (e.g. TOEFL). For applicants from many countries, the Department of Cell and Systems Biology requires an English Facility Test even in cases where the primary language of instruction was English. English Language Facility Test results should be directed to the School of Graduate Studies, 63 St. George Street, Toronto ON M5S 2Z9 Canada.
If you are uncertain about whether or not your previous degree(s) meet the University of Toronto requirements for admission, you can look at the International Degree Equivalencies Tool.
If you receive an offer of admission, the following must be mailed directly to the Graduate Office, Department of Cell & Systems Biology, 25 Harbord Street, University of Toronto, Toronto ON M5S 3G5, Canada:
- Official transcripts of your academic record (from each university attended) sealed in an envelope and signed by the issuing institution. Transcripts received unsealed or unsigned are not acceptable. Current or former University of Toronto students do NOT have to provide a transcript from the University of Toronto.
To proceed to the SGS online admissions application, please click: SGS Online Admissions Application
For further information, please contact the Graduate Office, Department of Cell & Systems Biology, Ramsey Wright Building, Room 424, 25 Harbord Street, University of Toronto, Toronto ON M5S 3G5, Canada or email Ms. Sue Taylor at sue [dot] taylor (at)utoronto [dot] ca